PCM Y6b

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Oct 4 22:31:35 EDT 2006

I purchased my Y6b a couple of weeks after the PCM website said they were shipping. I was lucky enough to still get one with a number. The hobby shop store owner looked through Horizon and Walthers database, and at that time only the no number ones were available in sound. However, he did a swap with another hobby shop and I got one with numbers. This was in June, so I do not know the availability of them now. Of course I live in New England far outside N&W territory, so maybe that was a limiting factor. You can probably get one without sound and then wait until they come out with the upgrade kit. The drawbacks on the PCM upgrade kit are, the availability since it had a January 07 release date. The upgrade sound decoder plus the price on a non-sound Y6b was about $15 to $20 more than the sound version. Another thing to consider, is that a good hobby shop could have gotten you the sound Y6b for around $575.

As for sound decoders I find the sound superior to the BLI class A for factory install jobs.

After market sound there is an older version Soundtraxx Class A decoder which has a decent sound. You may be able to get it cheap since Soundtraxx lowered the prices of their decoders in advance of the Tsunami. This may be the way to go, if you are having problems locating a sound version Y6b.

I have heard the Tsunami light and heavy steam. Great Sounds! however there does not appear to be a N&W hooter version.

A.J. Gemperline