Wig Wag Crossing Signals

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Sep 4 14:40:18 EDT 2006

Chuck: I have a drawing of wig-wag use on the Cincinnati District showing
their use on the 'major' road crossings on the Peavine. My drawing is from
the early 1950's, but wig-wags go back to the forties. Peavine roads are
far from major, but they were common on 'major road crossings' in the small
towns along the line. It would appear that the philosophy was to use the
wig-wags where there was a danger to drivers. The philosophy would seem to
mimic today's practice of spending money only where necessary.

The major issue was that the wig-wags were mounted on a large concrete base
in the middle of the road. This base may have cost more lives than driving
into the path of a train as a lot of people seemed to have aimed at it
frequently.

This base shows up on crossings in the mid-thirties on the Peavine around
Batavia with plain cross-bucks mounted on top of it.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____