Wig Wag Crossing Signals

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Sep 4 08:51:53 EDT 2006

This one looks like it has the correct mechanism but it is cantilever mounted instead of a pedistal mount.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/147-5001

The N&W mounted theirs on a pedistal with the arm mounted upwards and a counterweight on the bottom.
Look at this signal that was near Chilhowie. It is the older style with 2 lights in the background,
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/nw1170.jpg
Here is the same location showing both sides of the crossing.
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/railroad/full/nw256.jpg
These were taken in the late 20's or early 30's before Route 11 was moved up the hill and bridged over the N&W.
Here is the newer style.
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/railroad/full/nw235.jpg
I believe these could be kitbashed with the static unit as mentioned earlier by removing it from the cantilever, mounting it on a pedistal, and inverting the arm. To be correct, it would need the counterweight at the bottom. However, this would be a nonoperating signal. I don't know if the operating model can be modified to operate in N&W fashon or not.
As for the brass version, I don't know if that one comes assembled or in a kit. If it is a kit, then it might be feasible to make it out of brass.

Ben Blevins

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org wrote:
Hi;

Take a look at these, I am not sure if they are exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/147-5001
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/147-5400
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/147-5410
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/525-1180