PCM Y6?

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jul 10 20:22:43 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

This my first time contributing to the modeling list. I am modeling N&W
mainline from Bluefield to Lynchburg with Roanoke in the middle of a folded
dogbone. I have been an N&W modeler since the late 1950's. My locomotive
collection includes about 40% brass and then Powerhouse, Rivarossi, and
Proto 2000. I started putting sound into locos before BLM came into
existence. I chose Soundtraxx and I still prefer them over QSI or LokSound
for the following reasons:
I was able to use cams to coordinate the chuffing sound with the
drivers. None of the others do this. At higher speeds, QSI sounds
like a noisy blast and has absolutely no relation to the turning of the
drivers. I have recordings I made of J #611 going from 0 to
60, and Soundtraxx recreates it exactly.

The speakers are located in the tender. There is no difference of
timbre between plastic and brass.

This is not to take away from some of the other effects that QSI has which
are phenomenal, such as squealing brakes, or the special whistle effects.

I am really enjoying your contributions, for example what locos operated in
the Valley.

Does anyone have a paint formula for passenger cars? At one time, there was
a hobby shop in Roanoke that advertised N&W passenger car paint but I guess
they don't make it any more.

Glad to be on board.

Bob