UK "Pen Pals" Head Lights

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jun 7 08:57:07 EDT 2006

I concur. I lived in London about 50 years ago. Railway rights of way
were protected with walls and fences and road crossing (grade crossings)
were all gate protected. Roadbeds were normally elevated and paths and
country roads went under the tracks through bridges & culverts. Cattle
could pass under railway lines through the use of "cattle creeps" which
were versions of the same "culverts".
British steam engines did use a form of "running lights" to indicate the
type of train, be it express local, etc. These lights would be located
top center of the smoke box and additional ones were located on the front
buffer beams. Discs were used during daylight running. I defer to
British Railway enthusiasts for further interpretation & clarification..
Now, I am sure some of the purists out there are starting to grumble
about this forum being used for UK railway questions and practices. Is
there a British Railway forum known where we can re channel our questions
and comments on this subject?
Regards,

Bob
(Manassas, Virginia)