locomotive terminals, part 2

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Jun 2 08:18:07 EDT 2006

Rick:
I'm tempted to say that the E's, J's, K's, and GP9's used on the "Short Runs"
were assigned to Petersburg for maintenance. Still, I don't know that
Petersburg had the facilities for conducting the quarterly, semi, and annual
tests required by the government. Petersburg also supplied the engines
used at Broadway Yard and Hopewell. It also had a test track for the
automatic train stop.

The engines in Petersburg-Richmond service did get out of cycle. Remember
that before the Cannonball and the Cavalier were combined, the engine that
brought #22 out of Richmond went through to Norfolk. Maybe Lamberts Point
did the maintenance on that set. In August, 1955, I saw one of the
ATC-equipped
K's bringing a 5-car #22 past Dwight. Maybe #16 was late arriving
Petersburg and N&W decided not to delay The Cannonball to Norfolk , , ,
or maybe it was going to Lamberts Point for test. The following August,
I saw the 123 double-heading with a Class A on a hopper train near Montvale.
Was it coming to Roanoke for a federal test . . . . or overhaul ?

Incidentally, in the late 20's, N&W modified the Automatic Train Control
installed
on the Shenandoah Division. The engines assigned Richmond-Petersburg
service (equipped with General Railway Signal equipment) could not alternate
with the Union Switch & Signal-equipped engines on the Sheandoah Division.

Harry Bundy