PCM Y6b's

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun May 21 23:29:28 EDT 2006

To join in the fray:
Picked up my unlettered PCM Y6b Friday. Ran it on the limited stretch of
track up and running.
On Digitrax, it started moving smoothly on step 1. Unlike some other recent
plastic/brass-priced steam, it does run smoothly.
Sound is so-so, maybe a notch below. The exhaust is in sync with drivers at
low speeds, but the thing sounds more like a stuttering sewing machine by
the time you get to 30 smph or so. LokSound never sounded IMHO as good as
Soundtraxx, QSI or even the MRC system in some Genesis F3's I have. I've
heard sound in the LokSound booth at a couple of NMRA conventions and came
away unimpressed each time.
The whistle is an OK rendition of a hooter, but not nearly as good as the
QSI hooter on the BLI A.
Dragging out the Y6b drawings in a 1959 copy of RMC, I noted the machine
seems right on in smokebox and boiler diameter, as well as cab measurement
(remember the old Rivarossi Y6b with extra 2 feet or so of cab length to
accommodate the 3-pole motor?). It appears a little narrower in boiler width
than the Rivarossi, but seems to scale out right.
The die casting means that the rivet detail is way thick on the cab and the
round riveted plate at the front of the tender.
Yes, the headlight LED is amber, same color as an N&W position-light signal
indication.
Mine hauled the 18-car plastic test train that was handy without a hitch on
a level ROW and around a 40-inch radius superelevated curve.
The thing also has a switch for a smoke unit, although I doub't I'll pour
fluid down the stack to see if it has one installed.
Swiveling both engines, I noted there seems to be enough lateral swing in
the front engine to perhaps make it worth experimenting to see if the rear
engine can be permanently fixed in place.
All is all, it ain't worth the near-brass price. I waited almost 20 years
for the thing, but may not buy any more, at least not sound-equipped ones.
Kitbashing the Powerhouses and P2K's in my basement looks better and better.
Lastly, they did get the drivers about right, they scale out at about
56.5", not far from the prototype's 58", and a far cry from the 51" or
54"-inch drivered Rivarossis.
I'll probably write PCM, although I can't imagine they care too much, long
as it sells.
My $.02
Andre Jackson and/or Lisa Burrows
Life is short; update your anti-virus software