Ash Hoists

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Apr 25 22:52:15 EDT 2006

Since the VA Tech site changed, I haven't been able to find much of
anything there either.

Sorry I don't know exactly which type of ash conveyor N&W used at
Shenandoah Jim, but it probably was a Robertson. Scale Structures
makses a Robertson Cinder Conveyor
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/650-1110

The model is the hydralic type. It could be converted to electric. I
built two but then desided to model the modern ash handeling plant at
Williamson Yard.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148725/nw035.jpeg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148725/nw027.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148725/nw205.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148725/nw053.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148725/ashplant.jpg

The modern ash plant used water to wash the pit clean using high
pressure jets. The pit would empty into a slice trough and into a
silo where the ash and water were seperated. The ash was would be
emptied into a open hopper car.

A good reference book about coaling stations, including ash
handeling, is "Steam Locomotive Coaling Stations and Diesel
Locomotive Fueling Facilities, compiled by Thomas W. Dixon, Jr.
T.L.C. publishing
http://www.tlcrailroadbooks.com/cgi-bin/tlcstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=x22

Gary Setter