Y6's on the Pulaski District

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Feb 19 22:38:45 EST 2006

I remember a pig yard being constructed in Kingsport Tennessee (E. Sullivan Street & Wilcox Drive) just around the corner from TEC during the late 1950's. This was on the old CLINCHFIELD but SOUTHERN had trackage privileges to get into Eastman and SOUTHERN has had a loco stationed there since my high school years (early 1960's).

However, as CLINCHFIELD probably interchanged with SOUTHERN in Johnson City at that time I would imagine that a CRR "shifter" probably moved the train to Johnson City and SOUTHERN took it to Bristol to interchange with N&W.

Tennessee Eastman (and Holston Army Ammunition Plant which was operated by TEC for years) generated enough traffic at that time to keep a couple or three railroads busy in Kingsport.

If I have committed any errors, I am sure to be corrected as I am recalling from memory stuff from many years ago.

BILL PALMER
SOUTHERN CROSS N TRAINS
LUBBOCK TX USA