Copenhaver's Crossing Derailment 1975? (was Y6's on the Pulaski Dist.)

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Feb 19 20:34:30 EST 2006

I remember that derailment. My mom and I went to town that day and I remember seeing cars tossed about everywhere. I couldn't have been more than about 4 or 5 years old.
So, does anyone, other than Gary or myself, remember this derailment? We've tried before to find out more about it but never could.
Thanks,
Ben Blevins

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org wrote:
Not sure about Eastman trailers, but there was a pig ramp behind the yard office in Bristol that was used to load trailers onto flatcars, my grandfather one time assisted in hauling several trailer loads of J.C. Penny boxer shorts manufactured by Harwood Manufacturing of Marion, to be loaded on the flats at Bristol and shipped to New York, Ironically the train made it to McMullen (just west of Marion) and promptly derailed, guess which cars, the trailers bursted open and flung boxer shorts all over the place. I remember seeing the colorful sight, but I barely remember much about the derailment itself, it was near Copenhaver's Crossing around 1975/76.

Gary Price
NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org