1. RE: N & W J Class 4-8-4 611 Fan Trip Photos, Info on Correct HO Passenger Cars (nw-modeling-list@nwhs.org)

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jan 31 19:23:23 EST 2006

Reply To: Message 1. RE: N & W J Class 4-8-4 611 Fan Trip Photos,
Info on Correct HO Passenger Cars
(nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org)

Hello Lois:

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. The Bachmann 611 edition
that I have, I purchased back in the early
1990's or late 1980's. Which might be the same one that you have, the
"Pre Spectrum" Run. I know, that
the model does not have any DCC card or perhaps ability for one.
Think it may have either a modern can
motor or a large motor. Not sure about the Tender that came with it.
It took me about a decade to find an
Aux Tender that Bachman made during the first run of the 611
Model. I know, that I picked up the Aux Tender
only a couple of years ago. Then, Bachmann issued another Run of that
tender ! Nice Timing.I am not too
sure about the tender if it is Flat or rounded. [[ Both the
Locomotive and the Tender are still packed away ]].

The passenger cars that I first had were in one box made by AHM [
Rivarossi ] that came in a large maroon
cardboard box. These were Stolen from my home while I was undergoing
a Divorce, along with part of my HO
Scale Collection. This past weekend, I attended the Big E Fair
Grounds in Amherst, Mass for the Train Show.
There I found a dealer, who happened to have a set of 6 Streamlined
Passenger cars, in Bachmann Boxes,
which were made by, you guessed it, "Rivarossi". Here is the list in
Original Bachmann Boxes;

[1] Item No. 43 - 1080 J1 Norfolk & Western Coach No. 1722
[2] Item No. 43 - 1080 J2 Norfolk & Western Coach No. 1724
[3] Item No. 43 - 1083 J3 Norfolk & Western Pullman Virginia
Polytechnic Institute
[4] Item No. 43 - 1084 J4 Norfolk & Western Baggage No.128
[5] Item No. 43 - 1085 J5 Norfolk & Western Railway Post Office No., 93
[6] Item No. 43 - 1086 J6 Norfolk & Western Dinner Gen. Something [[
Sorry. I brought that into work to show a co-worker]]

After examining all the cars, None of them are Lettered for the
"Pocahontas and Powhatan Arrow" trainsets. They are
very nicely painted and lettered never the less. Although, I don't
like the cheap AHM passenger trucks or the horn hook
couplers. The cars are also too light to be used as is and the
interiors are beige plastic, with no interior lighting as I have
in most of my AHM / IHC / Rivarossi Passenger cars. So, given the
above information on the cars that I purchased,
Is this an Early Bachmann Passenger Car Set, or a re Issue to
duplicate that first issue set ? is it possible to find a
Set of cars that would be lettered correctly and pass for the
Passenger Trainset matching the 611 Steam Loco?
Did they ever use Streamlined, Fluted Side Passenger Cars ? Does the
Spectrum Heavyweight Set pass for what
is a Typical N & W Passenger Trainset ? Do you have any suggestions
about the couplers, trucks and improving the
weight of the cars so they will actually ride smoothly on the track?
Finally, I am appreciative of your input since you
are a member of the Historical Society dealing with the N & W. For my
part, I am a life member of the NHRHTA
New Haven Railroad Historical and Technical Association. Thank you
for your time and consideration.

Mike Balog
NHRHTA / Modeler
blueknightA1 at adelphia.net
West Lebanon, N. H.
~ You Wrote ~ [ Your Reply to my Orig. Message that Follows ] ~

>Message: 1

>First, what edition of the Bachmann 611 do you have? If you have a

>pre-Spectrum run, like I have, with the rounded top tender, you

>would need to either do a kitbash rebuild or get a new tender, like

>I would like to do. The rounded top tender (one can tell by viewing

>the rear of the tender of the model) is not correct for the 611, the

>611 actually has a flat top to the water tank on the rear half of

>the tender. As for the passenger cars, I can note from my several

>611 videos that the old Bachmann Pocahontas and Powhatan Arrow sets

>(which I found were actually made by Rivarossi) are very close. The

>window setup may not be perfect for ones going for the actual P2 and

>P3 N&W cars in the excursion consists: I am not certain about the

>Southern cars. About all the cars I see on the videos are

>streamlined: I have very rarely seen heavyweights except for the

>modernized type used for rear platform cars and baggage cars

>(Commissary and tool cars).

>Lois J. Ponton

N&W 611 Historian/ Modeler

==========================
~ Copy of My Original Message ~
===========================

I would like to know if any of your members could assist me with
information for comparing the available HO Passenger Cars on the
market to the actual Passenger Cars that made up a train carried by
the No. 611 on Fan Trips. I had attended the Amherst Railroad Society
Big E Model Railroad Exhibition in Springfield, Mass. Saturday, Jan
28th, I have a Bachman N&W J Class Locomotive and wanted the
Passenger Car Set that would be appropriate, similar to the one used
during the Fan Trips. I Had an AHM 6 car Streamline passenger set,
Baggage, Postal,
2 Coaches, Dinning Car and sleeper. Or would a Bachmann Spectrum
Standard Heavy Weight Set be more Accurate ? Would appreciate a reply
with the correct information. Thanks,

~ Mike Balog ~ blueknightA1 at adelphia.net