N&W signs clarification

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jan 30 21:15:13 EST 2006

I'm lost in all of the back and forth about Signs Galore signs, BTS
signs, scratch building your own, etc. Signs Galore and BTS might make
the sign target but unless you're a scratchbuilder, most folks will want
a complete kit, including the rail that goes with the W and so on.

I need to clearly know if there is interest from this list for HO and O
scale trackside signs. If yes, please list the ones you'd like to see
and the scale (very important).

As for comments related to "I won't pay high prices for signs any kid
can make on a printer", I can appreciate that position. However, please
note that there is a lot of effort put into all of the kits I produce.
A scratchbuilder can always refuse to buy one of my kits in favor of
scratching his/her own. And that's just fine. But, realistically, that
person is in a very small minority and not the market I'm targeting.
I'm attracting the modeler who's willing to pay $12 for 4 O scale signs
complete with target, decals and rail/post ... and not have to spend the
time to draw up the various targets in some software, mess with "getting
it right" and then having to collect the other materials to make the
post. Anyone going the "scratchbuilt route" is doing it for fun and the
time it takes to create his own details is part of the fun. However,
there are many more modelers (and this group is growing) who would
prefer to have the signs presented in an easy-to-assemble format at a
reasonable price. I know for a fact that no one can scratchbuild a
whistle post for $3 when you factor in the time and material required to
do it. It's part of the hobby ... to scratchbuilt or to buy, that's the
question.

So ... please comment on what signs you'd like to see produced in HO and
O.

Jim King
Smoky Mountain Model Works, Inc.
http://www.smokymountainmodelworks.com