O scale does exist

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jan 29 03:42:05 EST 2006

I must come out of the closet as a modeler in O scale using 3 rail track (AC). My models are all scale and my track is not high rail. 18 months ago, I suggested to MTH that they bring out a N&W FM and a covered wagon. I provided photos from Bowers' "N&W First Generations Diesels" book. They have done that (whether I had anything to do with it or not). Both engines are in MTH's Premier line with the Protosound 2 command system. They have also recently produced a N&W 0-8-0 save that they kept the headlight on top of the smokebox (an error not committed by Lionel on their N&W scale equivalent). That fix will take several hours.

My wish now is that MTH will produce an M2 and streamlined K2a (Shenandoah Division). We'll see.

For 2 rail O scale (DC) folks, MTH is making a real effort to offer scale locos convertible for use on either system. Atlas is experimenting with 2 rail AC in O while MTH is moving toward establishing DCS in 2 rail DC (for both their O and HO lines).

While most of the posts on the NWHS-modeling list concern HO, I still draw a lot from everyone's "pro-typical" comments.

Dick Merrill
Stafford VA