PA-1's

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jan 25 00:21:31 EST 2006

The Freedom Train PA-1 moved over the N&W while on tour. Also, the GE
"More Power to America Special" used a solid red set of PA-2 and PB-2.
In both cases, the diesels did not pull the trains, but were pulled by
N&W steam, since the N&W policy at the time did not allow for diesels to
pull N&W trains. A later exception was the run through of Southern
diesels on the interline trains during a coal strike, but this was
before Southern traded their DL's in for PA's. By the time Southern
diesels started running through in 1958, the Southern PA's were probably
out of the picture. Jim Nichols