N&W line poles/Ron what happened to my first reply?

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jan 16 20:08:22 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/15/2006 5:09:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org writes:

I'm going add signal line poles to my model railroad. I am wondering if
someone on the list knows the (average) distance between the poles, as
they were on the N&W.

Mark,
40 poles to the mile.

With all do respect to Ed, you didn't see any of the following on "The
Valley";

Don't forget to alternate the side of the arms on the poles. For example,
on one pole the arms will be on the east side of the pole, then on the west
side of next pole, then on east side again. Of course, standards usually
required double bracket arms (arms on both sides of the pole) whenever the
lines crossed a highway, track or other traveled way. Double bracket arms
were required also when the signal line was broken at the end of a block,
etc. With model railroads, it you follow rules, you may end up with most of
the poles being double bracket arm because of the density of tracks,
junctions, etc., so some judgement is in order.

Jimmy Lisle