BLI vs Specrum J

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jan 1 11:19:33 EST 2006

I have a BLI with sound that I am running on analog DC. I like the sound, but the control system running on analog is not a winner. It is nearly incompatible with with my aristocraft remote throttle because the throttle drops the track voltage to zero for a fraction of a second when reversing. This feature confuses the BLI control system. Running it on a conventional DC throttle works OK most of the time, but trying to do anything fancy with the reverse switch to ring bell or sound the whistle is somewhat hit or miss. Occasionally the loco will go into a dead state and will have to be reset with the magnetic wand. The instruction manual is pretty marginal in its guidance on these issues; the manual appears to apply to an earlier version of the control system than was supplied with my model. Of course the loco dies at whatever time is most inconvenient.

My recommendation is that if the BLI non sound equipped version has the same control system and you plan to run on analog DC, avoid the BLI model.

Ed Sproles