BLI vs Specrum J

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Dec 30 16:21:16 EST 2005

On 12/29/2005, Chris Wrenn wrote:

> I have several of both locomotives and hands down the BLI

> outperforms the spectrum. Definitely worth the extra money. That's

> just my opinion.

Chris,

From my experience, if you install the traction tire axle in the
BLI, it will definitely pull more cars than the Spectrum. Neither
pulls anything near the prototype going up a grade unless they have
traction tires. As far as being smooth runners, both are equal
without traction tires (the Spectrum doesn't have the traction tires,
nor the option to add them).

The BLI model cost double what you can buy the Spectrum for. If cost
is an issue, then I would rather have two Spectrums than one
BLI. Having said that, I do own several of each, and both
manufacturers' locomotives operate well. YMMV.

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Fircrest, WA

Modeling the Norfolk and Western Ry in 1951, when Precision
Transportation was still steam powered!