BLI versus Spectrum J

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Dec 29 14:29:23 EST 2005

On 12/28/2005, Carl Miller wrote:

>I am considering purchasing either a BLI or Spectrum J class

>locomotive. I am not interested in sound, so if I were to purchase

>the BLI locomotive, I would buy a non-sound equipped version. Based

>on detail and running characteristics, is there a consensus as to

>which is the better model?

As one who owns both, and has them equipped with sound, the Spectrum
is the better value. This is especially true if you don't intend to
buy it with sound installed. Even if you want to install sound
later, the Spectrum is equipped with an easy DCC plug and
pre-drilled/cut for a speaker in the tender. The only advantage I
can see to the BLI model is that you can actually use the front
coupler if you want to use the locomotive in freight service. The
Spectrum's front coupler is a vestige that will allow double heading,
but not much more.

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Fircrest, WA

Modeling the Norfolk and Western Ry in 1951, when Precision
Transportation was still steam powered!