Interior Colors of N&W Cabooses and Passenger Cars

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jul 17 16:03:24 EDT 2005

David: When you say "Madison" cars, I assume you are using the term
Lionel sometimes used in reference to heavyweight cars with clerestory
roofs. On the N&W, prior to 1940, these heavyweight cars had interiors
painted with mahogany "woodgraining" and white ceilings. Upholstery was
dark green. Beginning about 1940, many of these cars were modernized
with reclining seats. The interiors were painted either light green or
light blue, and the upholstery was either chocolate brown or rust color.
This is a simplification, but should give you the information you need
for what you are doing. Business cars were similar, except that the use
of light green or blue began later, if at all. You can't go wrong with
the mahogany woodgraining (light brown would do nicely). Window shades
were a very dark green on the outside
Cabooses tended to be painted the same regardless of class. At
first, the interiors were light green; but by 1959 the color had become
light gray. Thus, your ex-Wabash C17 would be correct in light gray.
Hope this helps. Jim Nichols