O scale & structures

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri May 27 14:56:31 EDT 2005

Steve Kerr,
Tom Lewis,
Jimmy Lisle,
Michael Ross,
Christopher Smith,
Ron Timma,

Thank you all for responding.  Mike, yes, I do have your most recent article.  I'll look for your earlier ones.  Jimmy, no, I hadn't seen the caboose article.  Which issue is it in?  I hadn't realized until now that O Scale Trains has all back issues online as .pdf files.

No doubt you are all way ahead of me.  Currently I have no layout, one loco (Kohs Y6a) and three cars.  With my budget and the price of equipment, hopefully by the time I retire and have some serious time to spend, there'll be enough to equip a not-too-large layout.

Here's my question.  I'm thinking about joining a club in my area, Fox Valley O Scalers, to run the Y6a in the meantime.  They are exclusively DCC, so if I want to run it there, I'll need to have a decoder installed.  The impression I get is that DCC is not as established in O as it is in HO.  Do any of you guys use DCC, and what's been your experience with it?  In particular, know of any problems with installing it in Kohs products?  George seems somewhat ambivalent towards it, maybe he just doesn't want to have to fix models with botched DCC installations!

Am also interested in hearing what era you guys are modeling.

Regards,

Tom Leuthner