Y3 Frame - > Y6 Shell

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 9 07:25:39 EST 2005

One of the problems in modifying the Rivarossi Y6b to
a Y6/Y6a is shortening the front of the boiler about a
scale 18" or so.  Another problem is the cab - it's
too long.  I believe it was proportioned that way to
accommodate the motor in the original 1960s-vintage
model.  Compare the model to photos and it's pretty
apparent.  Since you're going to use a different
running gear, extracting 6" or so from the cab may not
be so much of a problem, nor will the structural mods
to the front.  I've done the boiler front mod three
times (equivalent of Y6a, Y6 and Y5) including the
feedwater heater, but I cheated by substituting
another cab in each case.

Dave Stephenson