Steam decals

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Nov 29 23:03:25 EST 2004

That lettering on the RS-3 was Alco's version of the N&W steam
lettering, I've never seen anything like it in decal form. It was quite
similar to the lettering that was put on the RF&P and ACL E units on
lease. I don't think I have seen a GP9 in the same style lettering, and
the EMD painting diagram 8229770 reflects 10 inch lettering, like the
steam style and all the photos I have are of that style.  That drawing
is updated through August 1955. They were all all black, Duco for the
carbody. Trucks, and all underbody was dulux.  Duco ''gold''  lettering
for road name, cabside numbers, letter ''F'' and ''Fire Extinguisher''.
Handrails or step edges painted black. Number board style was still to
be specified on this drawing but would be white insert style numbers.

Ken Miller