10250!?

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Aug 27 07:37:45 EDT 2004

Mark;

Those are G83 class coal gondolas. They were 257 of them built by Trinity Industries in 1991 in Greenville, PA. Number series is 10000 - 10256. While on Trinity's catalog they were called "Aluminators", many rail fans call the "Dolly Partons" for obvious reasons. These cars were Trinity's initial response to Bethlehem (and later Johnstown America) BethGon, which NS bought 331 of, numbered #10300-10630 and are class G87. Neither car has rotary dump couplers but were bought for Carolina Power & Light and Duke Power unit service.

There were no other Aluminators ever built aside from the demo and NS cars. Trinity changed their twin tub design and re-named the car "The Aluminator II." BN, BNSF, CN, UP and GE Leasing have purchased these cars in addition to the 4 demo cars that are still floating around. LBF has released an HO (and N, I believe) scale version of the Aluminator II.

Hope this answers your questions.

Russ Goodwin