Airbrush Paint for Plastics

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Aug 5 01:23:28 EDT 2004

As a custom painter, the best starting point for a novice is water, food
coloring and a stack of paper plates in order to get used to how the
airbrush works in regards to air pressure and type (single or dual action).
Water & FC is a lot cheaper than paint and plastic. Also get Jeff Wilson's
painting book from Kalmbach Publishing for further reference info.

When you're ready, try to shoot in a well ventalated area or in a spray
booth. PollyScale can be cut with water, shot straight from the bottle or
cut with their airbrush thinner. I've also heard isopropyl alcohol works as
well, haven't tried it, so I can't confirm. PollyScale also has a wide
variety of colors to choose from. Only drawback is it yields a flat finish
that needs to be gloss coated prior to decalling, then sealed.

My personal preference is Scalecoat (metal) and Scalecoat II (plastic), cut
10-15% with their thinner for each product. The paint yields a high gloss
coat, which can be decalled directly onto, then overcoated for a seal.
PollyScale is my second choice based on color availability. (Check with
DesPlaines Hobbies in DesPlaines, IL (Chicagoland area) for Custom Scalecoat
II Colors including IT Green.)

Personal opinion on other paints; ModelFlex and Accuflex dry to quickly to
the airbrush and gum it up, thinner from mfgr; AccuPaint great paint,
finishes like Scalecoat, unreliable availability, thins with isopropyl
alcohol; Floquil, great paint, great high, use their thinner, need multiple
clear coats for applying & sealing decals. I do use Floquil for a limited
number of colors - Sou Frt Car Brown and Platinum Mist.

When finished, I clean all the parts with Acetone, a little harsh, but works
well.

Two tricks to handling paint; mix it with a babyfood or "Martini" mixer,
don't shake the bottle, fewer micro bubbles in the paint; clean the rim of
the bottle and jar lid with a "Q-Tip" and acetone, then dab a little
Vasaline or Chapstick around the rim of the bottle to create a airtight
seal. Turning the bottle over works as well, just not a personal preference.

Hope this helps,

Russ Goodwin