Where Is, and Who Is, This N&W Train Dispatcher ?

Sat Apr 27 17:56:33 EDT 2024

Attached is a photograph of an N&W Train Dispatcher which appeared on page 17 of the N&W's August 1962 Freight Timetable.

I believe this photo shows the CTC machine for the north end (i.e. Roanoke - Hagerstown portion) of the Shenandoah Division, which was located in UD Office in the Freight Station on Commerce Street in Roanoke.

Can anyone identify the man? As a kid, I was making occasional night visits to UD about this time, but I do not recall seeing this man. (That was back in an age when the doors of railroad office buildings were never "secured." Can you imagine that situation obtaining in today's world...? )

-- abram burnett
Forward Observer, Dee-Partment of Turnips