Current 611 whistle? - UPDATE!

Wed Apr 17 20:41:31 EDT 2024

> *this should have or should be handled by the modeling committee.
> Apparently our committee seems absent. Third, our modeling committee since
> our society’s inception has been lacking.*

Stephen, I suspect you are right, but I also get the impression that:
1. model makers rarely ask for assistance from the Society - is this true?
2. Then there is the other point of view - should the Society be
compensated for providing this info to the companies who will be profiting
from the info?

It's my opinion that the Society members and the market as a whole benefits
from accurate models that receive assistance from the Society by having
more accurate models and expanded interest in the railroads. If it were up
to me, there would be a notice for manufacturers on the NWHS website
offering to help.  It's a fine line, for sure.  Ken Miller mentioned that
one company bought many tens of blueprints for some particular piece of
rolling stock once.  If the Society fails to remain financially secure,
then the documents would no longer be available. It's a catch-22. I'd help
but I don't have hands-on access to material and direct access to everyone
to ask for help - I'm in Ohio.

That brings up another point. I wish there were a modeling section on the
NWHS website. C&OHS seems to be much more active in the modeling area. I'm
starting to bug Ken about that, and hope to make some inroads there
this year.  Bob Chapman's head end cars series is *incredible* and I am
very sorry to hear it is finished at 6 installments. I could stand to see
another 24 installments in the series! I post N&W related images and
discussions on N&W Facebook groups all the time. We have a VERY active Fans
of N&W/VGN group and Modelers of N&W VGN group.  The Fans group, which I
admin, has 11.5K members now. That's up from around 7K just 2 years ago.

Mike Rector