"Time Book No. 1" - Lynchburg to Bristol

Tue Apr 16 08:52:30 EDT 2024

Check attachment. It seems the covers were missing at the time the scans were made. So we do not know the date, or even the name of the railroad, or the name of the Division.  But the Special Instructions do indicate the Train Master's office is in Lynxxxburg.

The metadata embedded in the PDF shows the PDF was assembled by someone who signs NAPS2 on 8-19-2018. Thank you, Mr. NAPS2 !

Nothing really startling in this document, except that the "Time Table Superior Direction" is westward. (That means that when two trains meet by Time Table, the westward trains holds the main track and the eastward train goes in the hole.) The earliest N&W TT I have seen reverses that, and it stayed that way until the end of TimeTable-Train Order operation (save, perhaps, for some backwoodsy branch lines somewhere.)

This Division is operating 14 regular trains per day:  No's 1 through 12, inclusive,  and No's 21 and 22.

I see none of the big-league influences brought by the coming of the Shenandoah Valley Rail Road. There is no mention of the blocking of trains - trains moving in the same direction are simply "spaced" by the 5 and 10 minute principle.  And unfortunately the Special Instructions section at the back of the document make no mention of how Train Orders factored in the operation, but without doubt that was covered in the railroad's Rule Book.

If anyone has a crystal ball and can find a date for this baby, I should be obliged. My crystal ball has been whitelined and is in RS-32 shop status - the cost of repairs excedes its depreciated value.

I obtained this file from the website linked here, which offers a copious amount of material, most uninteresting but there are several jewels.

https://movingthefreight.com/

No snow to shovel today, but the grass needs mowin'. Any volunteers... ?

Tach'mint.

-- abram burnett
Turnip Capital Advisors - Our Turnips Make You Money