Traffic Representatives: What Was the Story Behind Them ?

Mon Apr 15 12:26:14 EDT 2024

 Abe - During my 3-year loan to Texas Gulf Sulphur's Phosphate Division,  the N&W  sales rep was Bob Foster at the Durham office.  Foster also had connections to American Tobacco, Carolina Power & Light, and Weyerhaeuser Paper.  I'd say you're correct -- that seniority had little to do with appointments, but clerks with a knowledge of rate-making did have an advantage.  Now, remember that 1970 article from TRAINS ?  It gave a railroad-by-railroad account of who to contact if you sought a position in sales. So now the college-grads appeared.  The 1st Commandment at Texas Gulf Sulfur was no customer information, volumes, rates would never be shared with outsiders.  Once every three months, Foster would come to Aurora, NC and we'd discuss the unsold fertilizer at Portlock Yard waiting for a sale or maybe the need for covered hoppers., but Foster never dealt in other peoples' shipments.  BTW, N&W paid for our dinners at a Washington restaurant.  One day, I returned to the office after making a yard check.  Seated in my chair was a sales rep from another railroad, penning down information in TGS's Customer Route manual.     HWBundy