Pocahontas Division article, 1945

Mon Apr 8 13:38:02 EDT 2024

 Tim,
Your mention of your great-grandfather, Al Hock, brought back memories.
I think you know that my grandfather C. E. Yearout (Pocahontas Division engineer) and family were friends of the Hocks in Bluefield.  I remember visiting the Hocks with my mother when I was a wee laddie.  I was thrilled when your great-grandfather gave me a copy of Railroad Magazine with his article in it.  One item that Hock wrote about must have impressed me because I still remember what he told us about his employment in road service, "I have stood on a bouncing engine tank clinging to the hand holds on the cab, so worn out with loss of sleep after long hours on duty that I dosed off standing up."
Gordon Hamilton