signaling (was signal brackets)

Fri Mar 29 15:26:37 EDT 2024

Prescribed speed was the speed in the employee time table for that section of track.

Restricted Speed (not restricting speed although the signal name that told you to proceed at restricted speed is called Restricting) is defined in the rule book as “A speed that will permit stopping short of train, engine, obstruction, or switch not properly lined and looking out for a broken rail, but no exceeding 15 miles per hour.”

At least in my 1981 rule book, Medium Speed is not defined nor is it used. While many railroads include a requirement to reduce to medium speed (and define it as 30mph) when passing an Approach signal, N&W’s indication for Approach was simply “proceed preparing to stop at next signal."

My rule book did define Slow Speed (A speed not exceeding 15 mile per hour). That is probably because N&W mostly used route signaling rather than speed signaling (e.g. Divergring Clear rather than Medium Clear) but did have Slow Clear and Slow Approach signals defined in the rule book. On the former-N&W with position signals, Slow Clear and Slow Approach could only be found on dwarfs and all dwarfs were slow speed signals (not true in former NKP/WAB territory).

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com