signal brackets

Wed Mar 27 19:55:26 EDT 2024

I think l it’s curious that the main has been single track through Chillicothe for fairly solid stretches of time. Why is this? My non-railroader view thinks doubled mains would be especially useful through a city.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

John:

This signal was on the Scioto Division- Columbus District, the N&W main line west (compass north) of Portsmouth.

The reason for the lack of clear indication is that this is signal  protected the end of double track with an equilateral switch. The best aspect a train could get would be “approach diverging”.

Eric from the Columbus District