clerestory roofs

Wed Feb 21 17:45:38 EST 2024

Jim:

In addition, I can add that in the clearstory roofs on the baggage car that Roanoke Chapter has, does have opening vent windows in the clearstory, I’d guess about 18 inches long and maybe 8 inches tall. They are hinged at the bottom, and have a small latch mechanism at the top, so they fold downward, and keep the rain trapped.

They were opened with a small tool that resembles a small hammer, with one side being a rounded tip, and the wooden handle is roughly 3 feet long, you inserted the tip into a loop on the latch, and twisted it open, and pulled down the vent window. I do know, I have one of the tools and never really knew what it was until I looked at the windows, and tested it with the tool.

It is stored somewhere in my garage today, not seen many of them. If I can find it anytime soon, I’ll take a photo. The handle was quite decoratively turned wood, polished and varnished.

Best
Ken Miller