Things noticed

Wed Feb 14 12:46:47 EST 2024

After sending the note below, I re-read the full article (titled “Improving Our Mallet Locomotives” November, 1927), which said that air pumps were moved from the smokebox front to the sides at the same time as the addition of the feedwater heater (clearance restrictions were the reason for the front mounted pumps - difficulty in maintaining the front end was the driver behind wanting to move them).

But that raises a question about my answer to Jimmy’s missing FWH observation. Why, in 1929, were the pumps relocated yet no Worthington BL has been added? My assumption is that the work was accomplished at separate times - or some Y3s never got a heater?

Below is another snippet explaining what had to me modified on the Y3s to allow mounting the air pumps and feedwater heater. Details for Mike Rector’s spreadsheet.

After a careful study of the problem, it was found that by locating an air reservoir on the tender to serve in place of one it was necessary to remove from the locomotive, by pushing the steam and other piping further down under the side of the boiler and re-designing the valve gear reach rod arrangement, with the addition of an auxiliary valve gear reverse shaft, that space could be found, not only for the air pumps on one side but also on the other side for the feedwater heater which it was desired to apply.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile