Five Retarder Yards on the N&W - One at Bluefield ?

Thu Jan 11 19:51:21 EST 2024

Here is an excerpt from the N&W Magazine article on the improvements in Bluefield from the July 1954 issue:

"Between the receiving and forwarding yards is a new car retarder and switching tower which at present controls power switches in the classification yard, replacing cumbersome manual operation of switches. Later, car retarders will be installed just east and west of the new scales.”

Ken Miller