Does Anybody Remember A Particular N&W Railroad Police Officer?

Mon Dec 18 15:28:50 EST 2023

 Bill - Joe was indeed a gentleman in carrying out his duties, after all, he was a Tar Heel.  Working the "tag night" at Tidewater Tower on Virginian's Sewalls Point Branch, Joe would make it a practice to stop by to make sure there had been no break-ins or robberies. And he was on N&W's last No. 4 (Actually it was 1st four) to make sure the riders behaved. , He did it in his gentlemanly fashion of course.    On Sunday, December 17, 2023 at 03:28:32 PM EST, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

  Jim,
Thank you for the reply and providing some background regarding Lieutenant Byrum's dedication to his job.  It's fitting that he would be a former Virginian man, because I had my encounter with him at South Yard in Roanoke.
Bill KingArlington, Virginia

Bill

That was Joe. I have forgot how to spell his last name but think it was Bryum.  I first met Joe in the early 60's when he was on Roanoke Terminal. I found Joe to be a very decided in his work and helpful with any problem.

As I recall he was a former VGN employee.  Back in the early 60's the railroad had a big problem with shipments of new automobiles.  They were often stripped of parts during shipment in those open cars.  The N&W police would inspect the cars as they arrived in a terminal to help pin point the trouble spots.  Even the agents and operators along the route would check for any lights that were on inside the cars and report the location.  They even had instantiates where a hobo would ride in the car.  I guess they called that First Class.  Anyway, Joe would inspect every inbound train with autos while the train was pulling in the yard.  If he spotted a problem he would make a detailed inspection.   The enclosed auto cars helped eliminate this problem.

Joe was a friend and a real gentleman.

Jim Blackstock