Mine Shifter Location?

Mon Dec 18 13:43:51 EST 2023

Thanks to all for helping me with this photo location. Who made the
first post shown below (remember to sign pls).

Am I correct in surmising that the loco is on the E.B. Main and is
shoving east? The longest single sequence on side A of Mr. Link's
recording '2nd Pigeon and the Mockingbird' is of 2190 shifting at
Borderland. Nice sounds to go with this photo. So perhaps this is one of
the Pigeon Shifters from Williamson.

And yes Matt, the photographer is very contemporary in dress. Probably
from NJ, PA, or NY. : )

This image will be available soon in the archives under 'Borderland' or
'2126'.

John Garner, Newport VA

Yes, this is Borderland Collieries.  The mine was over in Kentucky, as
you can see to the right in the picture. The coal was trammed over to
the West Virginia concrete tipple by the massive bridge  It was
originally owned by a group of Roanoke investors led by Edwin Stone of
Stone Printing, next door to the N&W Headquarters Buildings and across
the street from Hotel Roanoke.  I once bought an N&W "lamp" from a Mrs.
Joseph, who lived in the superintendent's house and operated an antique
shop in the garage.  All this complex stood until the four-lane
improvement of US 52/119 in the 'Eighties. A few company houses remain
in the bottom toward (east) Williamson; otherwise, not a trace is left.
The 2136 was one of a handful of Y6 engines used on shifters during the
last of steam; 2154, 2123 and 2190 were others.

     On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 08:35:56 AM EST, NW Mailing List