RE: 1950’s Pokey Farm question #1

Fri Dec 1 16:09:38 EST 2023

Chris,

Regarding the attached Company track plan, the graphics are correct, but
a label is incorrect. The second track under the coaling tower, adjacent
to the Westbound Main, was Westbound Storage. The east switch was at the
east end of the Middle Track just short of the middle signal of three
adjacent eastward signals, aka "The Three Sisters." Local/mine runs
could set off here from either main without blocking access to the
coaling tower.

The west switch was near the east/upper outlet switch (of two on the WB
Main) for the tipple at Caples. Here the WB Storage diverged and
returned to the Middle Track and to the WB Main. As a result, west loads
were easy to set over from outlet to storage if Caples was getting full.
Local/mine runs could set off west cars and River crews could fill out
here while on either the WB Main or the Middle Track. All four switches
were hand-throws and the track was dark.

In addition to west coal loads and empty westbound freight cars, empties
for Caples were set off here, and for Huger when Huger Middle was full.

Although the WB Storage Track was routed underneath the coaling tower
and had access to water and a dedicated sand spout, it apparently was
not used as a service track. It was a storage track, so access was from
the near end only, and coal was not available. Movements in and out
would have to deal with a lock on a hand-thrown switch, plus a
pipe-actuated derail uncomfortably close to the standpipe that otherwise
serviced the WB Main.

Grant Carpenter