Bluefield

Mon Oct 30 21:51:21 EDT 2023

Jim Cochran wrote:
> The attached photo was labeled Bluefield 1958.  I am going to speculate
> that the siding and paved  area indicate that this would have been taken
> Eastbound coming into the junction with the Clinch Valley line and that the
> paved area might have been where the Bluefield Va. station might have
> stood.

You are correct on the location of the picture. The concrete area is the extreme west end of the passenger loading platform on the north side of the pokey main.

Zooming in on the bridge number post shows what can reasonably be interpreted as a very blurry "833" which matches the number of the the bridge over the Bluestone River at the west end of the wye. The spur to the right served the furniture factory.

The bright white area across the tracks is another concrete passenger platform.
The station itself was on the south side of the Clinch Valley main barely west of the juncion swich.

The far left end of archives drawing HS-T00094 confirms the bridge number and locations of the siding, passenger platforms and the pole line on the far side of he track.

Joe Shaw
Christiansburg, VA