#605 in Circleville, Ohio (NW Mailing List)

Sat Oct 14 17:05:37 EDT 2023

Matt,

Thanks for sharing that photo of 605 at Circleville. I would speculate
that the date of this photo is nearer to 1944 when the J1's were shopped
to become J's. The platform steps on the pilot, a builders plate on the
side of the smokebox, and spoked pilot wheels all indicate a date
shortly after streamlining. Informative shot.

John Garner

The photo was shared by a man named John Boylan (for credit purposes),
who stated his father took it "around 1950". Photos of passenger trains
in Circleville (and the Columbus District more generally) are rare, so I
was tickled when I found it. The photo was taken about the same time as
passenger service was halved on the Columbus District (and probably the
Division as a whole?).

Matt Goodman