Norfolk Depot for N&P

Mon Oct 9 13:12:35 EDT 2023

Ah-HA ! Thank you, Col. Miller, for rescuing me from my great distress. I almost had a turnipological hectacomb until you came to my rescue.

That Sanborn map makes everything clear:

1. It shows a section called Brambleton, which probability correlates with that earlier name, Bramble's Point.

2. It is, indeed, on the "north side" of the Elizabeth River, as the N&W crosses the Elizabeth River twice, once where the river flows north/south, and once where if flows east/west.

3. And there is indeed a Newton's Creek near the depot. Which means there are TWO Newton's Creeks in the same county, both flowing into the Elizabeth River, but they are six miles apart. And the Newton's Creek which pertains to the location of the N&P depot is no longer identified by name in today mapping !

What is a poor mountain hillbilly to do against such odds...? It seems that the Great Chief Geronimo was correct in his saying: "White Man talk to Indian with forked tongue !"  I certainly hope those two creeks were properly distinguished on the navigation charts used by Captain John Smith, when he arrived in 1607.

My friend, Mr. Sledge, will be forward you a nice check as your Finder's Fee.

    -- abram burnett
no-longer-lost turnip-head