Class A front cylinders steam pipe question

Wed Sep 27 20:32:20 EDT 2023

Mike,
     It is called in drawing D33762 "Ball Joint Housing For Steam To
Front Engine Class A". Steam enters this housing and is then directed to
a manifold that routes the steam to the front cylinder, see drawing
D34000. This manifold also connects to both cylinders. "Steam Beating"?
No such a thing incoming, but, I will guess that just like a crossflow
pipe between a cars two exhaust sides, that manifold would tend to
equalize pressure between the front cylinders.

On 9/27/2023 2:48 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:
> /What is the device at the end of the steam pipe and on top of the
> front cylinder called, and what is its purpose? /
> /Does it somehow "buffer" incoming steam "beating"? /
> /
> /
> /Did the A and the Y's differ in steam delivery? Am I correct in
> thinking the A's deliver steam using individual side pipes on the
> side/underneath of the boiler, and the Y's deliver steam through a
> single central pipe under the boiler?  What makes each option best fo
> the individual use case?  I'm guessing it has something to do with
> compound vs simple?/

> The Y class "Live" steam delivery was also piped outside of the
> boiler, running back to the high pressure cylinder saddle only. Steam
> delivery to the Y front engine was through a central receiver pipe. To
> learn more about how the Y class worked go to this website: Mallet
> Articulated Locomotives (ALCO) -
> http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/mallet.Html

Jimmy Lisle