Class A front cylinders steam pipe question

Wed Sep 27 14:48:20 EDT 2023

What is the device at the end of the steam pipe and on top of the front
cylinder called, and what is its purpose?
Does it somehow "buffer" incoming steam "beating"?

Did the A and the Y's differ in steam delivery? Am I correct in thinking
the A's deliver steam using individual side pipes on the side/underneath of
the boiler, and the Y's deliver steam through a single central pipe under
the boiler?  What makes each option best fo the individual use case?  I'm
guessing it has something to do with compound vs simple?

Are there other locos on other roads where this device was present? I've
never noticed it, but then again, I've never looked?

Bonus question: How does it relate to beets?

Mike Rector

[image: image.png]