Coleman Place

Mon Sep 25 11:39:38 EDT 2023

 Mike- I'm sorry Coleman Place is gone too.  It had been staffed by Norfolk Southern RAILWAY dispatchers who controlled NS Rwy. Beach District and authorized movements on the Sewalls Point Branch to  Sewalls Point yard.  In the 1960s, one of every three coal trains was routed to Sewalls Point and when the class of coal was needed at Lamberts Point for dumping, light units would be called and make a Lamberts Point-Sewalls Point-Lamberts Point Turn.  Keep in mind the number of road crossings on the Branch.  This City of Norfolk would not allow coal/hopper trains on the branch as I recall 7 AM to 9 AM and 4 PM to 6 PM,  This to allow car riders to get to the Navy base and to home in a timely fashion.  In the early 60's, there was a movement going into the yard that stalled, blocking Granby Street.  Unfortunately, the Fire Department at Virginia Beach was en route to a fire and could not cross the tracks.  Seems that a suite followed.

 I’m sad to report that Coleman Place is gone.