diesel pushers on Blue Ridge Grade

Mon Sep 25 09:05:05 EDT 2023

Mike:

Not long, I’d suspect. Steam was gone over Blue Ridge by May 1959. I’d hazard a guess the last steam pushers were earlier that spring. By December, the merger with the Virginian was enacted, and most of the tonnage trains went east over the easier grade.

I’d suspect that the pusher jobs were ended in December 1959 as operations started to smooth out.

Occasionally, if the VGN is blocked, you will still see tonnage trains going east over Blue Ridge, with DPU, but no more pusher jobs.

Ken Miller