covered hopper gray

Thu Jul 27 02:53:23 EDT 2023

Is the shade of gray used to paint covered hoppers specified anywhere?
>From photos it appears that it may have varied over the years or from class
to class.  The early ones look quite light while later ones a bit darker.
Also, does anyone know how to talk about the scale  of shades between white
and black unambiguously?  A little looking on line seems to result in a
chaotic mix of RGB values and photography/ painting discussions.  One I saw
several times was neutral gray being defined as 16% reflectance.  Anyone
able to bring some order to my confusion?
Thanks, Jim Cochran