EL rolling stock

Sat Jul 1 09:14:17 EDT 2023

On Sat, Jul 1, 2023 at 7:53 AM Jim wrote:

> From what I have quickly read, it looks like NW controlled EL for a while
> before it went into  Conrail whose rolling stock got divied up with NW
> getting some of it.  My question is, did any EL equipment ever get painted
> for NW?

Erie Lackawanna purchased SDP45 engines from EMD, not to have room for a
steam generator but to have a longer frame to accommodate a larger fuel
tank. They did end up coming to NS as part of the Conrail deal, keeping
Conrail numbers 6667-6684, and were traded to EMD for new SD60 engines.
That may be as close as it comes. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_SDP45)

A good read with lots of details about the "Roanoke Mafia" and N&W
"ownership" of the EL and D&H is a book by H. Roger Grant, *Erie
Lackawanna: Death of an American Railroad, 1938–1992*. There is early
history of both the Erie and the Lackawanna railroads, but a lot of the
book covers the merger, then the decline of Eastern railroad before and at
the coming of Conrail, which is when the N&W walked away from the deal
(granted, Hurricane Agnes played a big part in that, causing extensive and
expensive damage through Pennsylvania and New York).

Bruce in Blacksburg