611 Return coverage opened my eyes!

Sat Jun 3 11:49:24 EDT 2023

On Sat, Jun 3, 2023 at 10:29 AM Herb wrote:

> At this rate, the once substantial rail yards in Roanoke will eventually
> be reduced to
> 2 EB & 2WB “mains” plus a few tracks for misc storage. 😖

At one time there were plans to build an intermodal yard in Elliston
adjacent to Cove Hollow Road. Land was purchased and VDOT improved Va. 603
from U.S. 11/460 to the Ironto exit at I-81. There was opposition to the
project, which eventually died due to a drop in the economy. This also
affected the yard at Roanoke, which was downsized as NS developed other
hubs for its traffic. At that time it seemed like the idle yard would be a
better location for the intermodal yard than the tight confines at
Elliston. Now comes a new push to establish another inland port in
Southwest Virginia, like the one near Front Royal. Wytheville has been
bandied about as a good location, but why not Roanoke? It wouldn't take
much to modify the largely vacant east end of the yard and Roanoke is on
I-81 about halfway between I-77 and I-64. Of course, New Southern would
have to have some interest in Roanoke, unlike the benign neglect and
outright hostility to the former headquarters of the Norfolk & Western.

Bruce in Blacksburg