SD40-2 steps

Fri May 5 14:32:37 EDT 2023

I have over 200 scanned 35mm shots of N&W 6073-6207 SD40-2's in my N&W
collection (and over 400 like shots of ex-N&W/NS SD40-2's 6073-6207).
Here's what I found as to yellow on step edges:

   - No units in my pictures taken prior to 1978 had any yellow painted
   step ends.
   - A builders photo of 6173 at LaGrange in 1978 had the lower step edges
   painted yellow.
   - Only one unit with block NW paint had all step edges painted yellow,
   6203 in 1986.
   - Only one unit painted in the Claytor scheme (Norfolk and
   Western spelled out in white) had all step edges painted yellow, 6127 in
   1987.
   - On ALL former N&W/NS SD40-2 ALL steps edges were painted yellow.

My speculation is:

   - All SD40-2's purchased by the N&W prior to 1978 (1625-1652 and
   6073-6138) were delivered with no yellow on any step edges.
   - All SD40-2's delivered from 1978 to 1980 (6139-6207) were all
   delivered with only the lower step edge painted yellow.
   - Any repaints of SD40-2 from 1978 and beyond had the lower step edge
   painted yellow.
   - 6127 and 6203 with all step edges painted yellow must have been
   performed during a shopping that didn't involve a complete repaint and was
   not common practice.

Ed Painter:  Member #70 from Narrows, VA living in Cohutta, GA