SD40-2 steps

Thu May 4 06:27:13 EDT 2023

Interesting question Gary.

We do not have a specific drawing in the Archives that addresses those specific units. The closest I can find is HS-C03058, which is for stenciling EMD switchers, which I assume the standard is the same regardless of type of unit or size. That drawing, issued April 10, 1980 depicts the lowest step with the yellow edge.

The next up is HS-D00878 issued January 10, 1982, which applies to all EMD six-axle units except SD-9, depicting the last N&W scheme with the road name spelled out across the hood, also shows only the bottom step as yellow.

Then we step into the NS era, with HS-D03560 issued 2-10-1982 with the NS scheme that applies to all six-axle EMD units. It shows revision B, 5-11-1984 stating to paint step edge in yellow. I’m no expert on NS painting practice, but I strongly suspect that even if the bottom step edge was not specified to be painted, it was due to habit, if nothing else. We do not have the earlier version of the drawing.

Now, on March 28, 1984 a memo was issued with the subject of painting the edges of All locomotive steps, stating “The Southern Safety Department recently has requested that all locomotive steps be striped with paint.”

I’ve yet to find a definitive date of the application of the yellow paint to the lower step, but my suspicion is about 1973. I know the handrails being yellow was a 1966 date, as the Wabash and NKP units were all painted that way.

Hope this helps

Ken Miller