Turning Big VGN 2-10-10-2s at Roanoke ?

Wed Apr 12 12:53:41 EDT 2023

Abe

The AE 2-10-10-2 were turned on the turntables at Princeton, Roanoke and Victoria. All had 120 foot tables available. An 80 foot turntable was replaced with a 130 foot table at Sewalls Point in 1945. Page had a 100 foot turntable. Elmore had a large wye track which could easily handle the locomotive

The AE had a wheelbase of 97 feet, and overall couple face dimension of 106 foot eight inches.

What was actually larger would be the AG, 2-6-6-6, which had a wheelbase of 112 foot 11 inches. over coupler faces of 125 foot, seven and 7/8 inches, which brings me the question of why was a 130 foot table even considered?

Best
Ken Miller